Supporting STEM Education
Black & Veatch has put science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education at the center of our philanthropic efforts to kindle a passion among students for learning how STEM influences our daily lives. From music to movies, sports to space exploration, STEM initiatives equip young people with the critical reasoning skills necessary to solve the energy, water and communications infrastructure problems of the future.
In and out of the classroom, Black & Veatch has formed unique partnerships to carry the message about the importance of STEM education to young people where they learn and play:
- Black & Veatch partners with the KC STEM Alliance to promote education in Kansas City. With this partnership, funds support Project Lead the Way (PLTW), a leading provider of STEM education to middle and high schools across the United States. Black & Veatch supports PLTW in the classroom by providing mentors and speakers to classes. We participate on advisory boards within several PLTW school districts and the Academy of Engineering.
- In a first-of-its-kind partnership, Black & Veatch has joined Major League Soccer franchise Sporting Kansas City (SKC) for the 2015-2019 MLS seasons to promote STEM to students in the Kansas City, Kansas school district through the company’s new growSTEM program.
- Black & Veatch participates in Future City, a project-based learning experience for middle school students. Participants use SimCity™ planning software as they compete in designing model cities. They learn from teachers and engineer mentors in a team setting.
- We support FIRST Robotics, an international high school robotics competition that fosters project management and communication skills through the building of robots that can complete tasks.
- The Explorer Post is a program sponsored by Black & Veatch as part of Learning for Life of Kansas City. The program exposes high school students interested in math, science and engineering to the various disciplines of engineering through presentations, hands-on activities, engineering tours, and community service events supported by
Black & Veatch.
- General Information Flyer
- Registration Application
- 2015 - 2016 Meeting and Activity Schedule
With an estimated $40 trillion needed globally in vital energy, water and communications infrastructure over the next 30 years, the need to share the importance of STEM education with students is more than ever. It’s why Black & Veatch, in working with vital partners to promote the development of critical reasoning, is helping deliver the foundational tools for Building a World of Difference