Utilities, communities, and energy consumers are actively investigating microgrids as a solution for reaching sustainability, resiliency, and cost-certainty objectives. Microgrids support greater levels of intermittent renewable resource integration and enhance energy security for mission-critical facilities and operations.
Shell Microgrid Doubles as Research Lab for Testing New Energy Solutions
Thomas Edison's invention of the electric lightbulb changed the world. But he also advocated energy conservation and once said, "I'd put money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that.”
Shell isn’t waiting.
Black & Veatch designed, procured and constructed a microgrid for Shell, which is using it to generate power while it also serves as a working test lab to explore advancements in renewable energy.
Black & Veatch provides planning, design and construction services for microgrids of all sizes and needs, including:
- Off-grid rural electrification and energy management.
- Community and/or campus-level projects that provide resilient, sustainable and cost-effective power supply.
- Island systems that boost economic development by reducing dependence on imported fuel and energy and/or replace aging assets.
- Non-transmission alternatives that negate the need for specific transmission upgrades.
- Smart Cities and communities.