Potential ten-year framework contract with Wood will support Wylfa Newydd nuclear power station to deliver low-carbon baseload power and skilled jobs for the long-term
Black & Veatch has won a role working for Wood, as the support partner to the Architect Engineer for Wylfa Newydd – a new-build nuclear power station in North Wales. Wylfa Newydd encompasses building two Advanced Boiling Water Reactors (ABWR) capable of generating 2.7 gigawatts (GW) of electricity. The potential 10-year framework contract will be delivered via a sub-contract with our partner, Wood.
“Wylfa Newydd will make a significant contribution to the low-carbon baseload power generation capacity in the UK for decades to come. Globally Black & Veatch has supported nuclear projects for more than 60 years. At Wylfa Newydd, we will combine our world-class expertise of ABWR technology with our proven ability to successfully deliver UK power generation projects,” said Matt Lee, Vice President and Director of Nuclear, Black & Veatch.
Wylfa Newydd is being developed by Horizon Nuclear Power and is expected to start generating electricity in the mid 2020s. During peak construction the project will require up to 9,000 workers; once complete Wylfa Newydd will create up to 850 permanent jobs in North Wales.
Working with Wood, who are the Architect Engineer support partner to Hitachi, Black & Veatch’s contribution will include the provision of technical services to support contracts required for the engineering, procurement and construction of Wylfa Newydd.
“This win marks a key milestone in our journey to diversify the client base and markets Black & Veatch serves in the UK. Wylfa Newydd also meets our goal of broadening the career development opportunities we can offer our professionals,” added Peter Hughes, Director of Business Development (Europe), Black & Veatch. “Throughout 2018 we have been announcing wins in the UK energy market. With Wylfa Newydd, we are ending the year on a high.”
- In early 2018, Black & Veatch was awarded the Owner’s Engineer contract to support UK Power Reserve to deliver 160 MW of gas power projects.
- In February 2018 Black & Veatch was awarded the contract to lead the development consent order process for the Wyre 900 megawatt (MW) combined cycle gas turbine project in Fleetwood, UK.
- In March 2018 Black & Veatch was selected to provide detailed design services for InterGen's 299 MW new build, open-cycle gas turbine project in Spalding, UK.
- Also in March, Black & Veatch was engaged on a three-year technical and consultancy framework to support E.ON’s UK Business Heat and Power Solutions' biomass and combined heat and power operations.
- Black & Veatch has been involved in more than 200 GW of power generation projects globally - encompassing thermal, solar, tidal, wind, biomass, hydro and nuclear
- For more than 60 years, Black & Veatch has provided full service nuclear power planning, engineering, procurement and construction capabilities.
Media Contact Information:
MALCOLM HALLSWORTH | +44 1737 856594 p | +44 7920 701764 m | HallsworthM@BV.com
24-HOUR MEDIA HOTLINE | +1 866 496 9149
About Black & Veatch
Black & Veatch is an employee-owned, global leader in building critical human infrastructure in Energy, Water, Telecommunications and Government Services. Since 1915, we have helped our clients improve the lives of people in over 100 countries through consulting, engineering, construction, operations and program management. Our revenues in 2018 were US$3.5 billion. Follow us on social media.