Langzhong Shuangrui (Meifeng) has selected the Black & Veatch-Chemtex team to design and build a new liquefied natural gas (LNG) facility in Langzhong, China. The facility will produce 35 MMscfd (Million standard cubic feet per day) of LNG and is based on Black & Veatch’s patented PRICO® technology.
LNG from the plant will be used to provide fuel for vehicles and spur economic growth in the region.
“For just over five years, working closely with Chemtex, we have helped developers in China commercialize natural gas resources, many in difficult to access or remote locations,” Edward Zhou, Business Development Director of Black & Veatch’s oil and gas business in China. “The LNG industry in China continues to gain significant momentum as a result of the need for cleaner, combustible fuel alternative increases.”
A push for smog-free air is spearheading China’s role as one of the biggest players in the global trade for LNG. In an effort to curb pollution, the Government is trying to reduce its reliance on coal and turning to natural gas as a reliable alternative to generate electricity. China is the third largest importer of LNG and consumes six per cent of the global LNG trade. In 2012, China imported 706 Bcf (Billion cubic feet), a 20% increase from 581 Bcf in 2011.
“As China continues to focus on LNG as an alternative clean fuel source, we look forward to working with Black & Veatch to bring us one step closer to meeting the Government’s goal to provide clean natural gas based fuel across China,” said Sean Ma, Chemtex China’s Chief Executive Officer.
The project is expected to be completed in 2016. As well providing the technology, Black & Veatch will also provide commissioning, start-up and other engineering services. Chemtex, as the prime contractor, will provide lump-sum engineering, procurement and construction services.
- Black & Veatch has been an industry pioneer in LNG since the 1960s. The company has supported the production of over 150 million tons of LNG.
- PRICO® technology is an innovative process developed by Black & Veatch to liquefy natural gas, making it available for transport via truck or ocean tanker. The process uses a Black & Veatch-patented, single-mixed refrigerant loop for natural gas liquefaction. The process boasts several key advantages , including:
- The lowest capital costs of all competing technologies.
- A simplified refrigeration system that requires minimal equipment
- Simplified control and maintenance
- Highly efficient and reliable
- The PRICO® process is used in LNG production facilities worldwide because of its flexibility for LNG capacity and in feed gas composition. This flexibility is invaluable for clients because they receive natural gas from multiple sources with varying composition and conditions.
Chemtex is a global technology and engineering solution provider belonging to the M&G Chemicals Group of companies, which is also part of the Mossi Ghisolfi Group. Chemtex specializes in delivering value-added projects for its clients in the PET/polyester, LNG energy & environmental, fibers and petrochemical industries throughout the world. The company today has operations in Wilmington, NC in the USA, Beijing and Shanghai in the People's Republic of China and Bangalore in India.
Media Contact Information:
Black & Veatch
KEITH MORRISON | +65 6738-4022 ext 607 p | +65 9666-5214 m MorrisonKW@BV.com | 24-HOUR MEDIA HOTLINE | +1 866 496 9149
GAUTUM KHATU | +1-910-509 4518 | email@example.com
About Black & Veatch
Black & Veatch is an employee-owned, global leader in building critical human infrastructure in Energy, Water, Telecommunications and Government Services. Since 1915, we have helped our clients improve the lives of people in over 100 countries through consulting, engineering, construction, operations and program management. Our revenues in 2018 were US$3.5 billion. Follow us on social media.